Thursday, August 11, 2005

Our family gets smaller.

It's amazing what goes on in one part of your family that is never told to the rest of the family. I guess my Uncle who is my Dad's brother has been having tons of problems for some time now. He had lost his job, so he was in financial turmoil. Didn't tell his wife anything about losing his job, so she thought everything was great. Plus I guess he'd been drinking a lot. He'd be drunk when my Aunt got home from work. And on top of it all he's threatened to commit suicide more then once. Well, Tuesday night he carried out his threat. He had been out on the patio at their house and I guess was going to do it there, but my Aunt got him to go back into the house. She called 911 and in the meantime my Uncle left the house. The cops caught up with him and he pulled into an apartment complex. The police told him to put his hands in the air. He did with a gun in his hand and then he put it to the side of his head and pulled the trigger. He lived to make it to the hospital but was brain dead. So they waited six hours to re-test for brain activity and there was still none. So today they will be removing his organs so they can be donated because he wanted that. It was on the back of his driver's license. Then he will be taken off life support. I guess my Aunt had tried and tried to get him to go get help and he wouldn't do it. He didn't want any of the other family to know about any of it either. It makes no sense not tell your family. The ones who will be there for you and give you help! It's so ironic too that here my Dad is fighting to keep his life and then my Uncle goes and takes his own. This is the first time I've ever known anybody who has done this and it is a very hard thing to understand. I know many people do this, but I can't imagine life being so bad as to want to remove yourself from this earth. In my eyes there's nothing that can't be fixed. I wish I could have known what was going through his head. So today I say goodbye to my Uncle Ron.

No comments: